Weave together the support community that will support you to thrive.
Pre and Postnatal Care Provider Resources:
- Golden Oak Midwives–Ellie and Gwen are private practice certified nurse midwives who work through Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Berkeley, CA, providing prenatal care that focuses on the health of the mother and fetus as well as the transition into parenting. Birth hopes and desires as well as education on birth are discussed in half hour prenatal visits. At the hospital, focused care and individual attention continues with the goal of providing a safe and satisfying birth for mother, baby and partner. Such care continues into the postpartum period with visits at 2 weeks and 6 weeks. For more information, please visit their website.
- Hummingbird Midwifery: Morgan West is a homebirth midwife servicing the Bay Area. She is incredibly passionate, warm and skilled.
- The Art of Mothering: Gingi Allen is a homebirth midwife who offers comprehensive care throughout pregnancy and beyond. She also offers herbal treatments and classes on pushing and connecting with your body through pregnancy.
Classes and Community Resources during Pregnancy and Beyond:
- Paula Santi, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant– Paula is a highly experienced Lactation Consultant who works throughout the bay area.
- Birthways: A childbirth education resource organization in North Berkeley.
- Then Comes Baby: A Childbirth Ed and Postpartum Resource Center. They offer lactation support, classes and groups.
- Postpartum Support International: essential info about perinatal mood & anxiety disorders, including risk factors, symptoms & treatments. Click here for phone numbers of the California State Co-Coordinators who can give you warmline assistance for postpartum support and resources.
- Ben Zappin, L.Ac. and Herbalist. Acupuncturist and Herbalist, Ben has over 15 years experience in his field and offers a well rounded mix of physical support as well as herbal medicine in his healing work.
- Flow Chiropractic and Family Wellness Center— Dr. Ariel is highly experienced and offers well rounded chiropractic care for the whole family during pregnancy and post.
- Awaken Chiropractic Care— Kenda and Armene are wonderful, experienced chiropractors who offer care throughout pregnancy and the entire family life cycle.
- Five Flavors Herbs: This is an herb store and they also offer acupuncture and other healing services including herbal consultations and acupuncture. A wonderful East Bay treasure.
- Luna Bee Massage: Lila is an incredible massage therapist. She offers general massage as well as Maya Abdominal Massage therapy.
Body Positive Resources:
- Health at Every Size: A community based on the simple premise that the best way to improve health is to honor your body. It supports people in adopting health habits for the sake of health and well-being (rather than weight control).
- Association for Size Diversity and Health: is an international professional organization composed of members committed to the Health At Every Size® (HAES ®) Principles. Our mission is to promote education, research, and the provision of services which enhance health and well-being, and which are free from weight-based assumptions and weight discrimination. Health is measured by many factors, including the right to be peaceful in one’s body.
Low Cost and Sliding Scale Therapeutic Agencies in The East Bay:
- The Women’s Therapy Center in Berkeley: Serving Women and Couples
- Family Paths: Seeing individuals, couples and families in Oakland and Hayward.
- Blue Oak Therapy Center, Berkeley: Low fee services for individuals, couples and families.
- The Women’s Cancer Resource Center: Providing wrap around services for women with cancer in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties.
- Cancer Support Community of Walnut Creek: Helpline for resources and support and an informational website with education and group offerings throughout the Bay Area.
- Bay Area Young Survivors: is a support and action group for young women in the SF Bay Area who are living with breast cancer.